Bulgaria's Bokova Enters Politico's List of People 'Shaking the World'
UNESCO Director General Irina Bokova has been included in the Politico28 list of European people "shaking the world."
Topped by London Mayor Sadiq Khan, it includes at total of 28 people, one from each member state.
Bokova, currently into her second term at the helm of the UN cultural body, is called "the crusading preservationist".
"Defenders of the world's most significant cultural landmarks breathed a sign of relief when the United Nations declined to appoint her its first female secretary-general. That meant Irina Bokova, the Bulgarian head of the UN's cultural and educational body, UNESCO, would remain in her job and keep fighting to bring to justice the perpetrators of looting, desecration and destruction of cultural landmarks," her profile prepared by Politico28 reads.
Last year, Bulgarian MEP Eva Paunova made it into the prestigious ranking.
- » Bulgaria to Formally Apply to Join EU's Banking Union
- » GERB Leader: I am Convinced that Austria and Romania will Continue the Key Priorities of the Bulgarian Presidency
- » Bulgaria Entered a Schengen Mode for the Eurozone Too
- » ECB Could take more than One Tear to Assess Bulgaria's Banking Union Bid
- » Bulgaria's Path towards ERM II Participation
- » European Parliament and Commission Divided on National Parks in Bulgaria