Bulgaria Most Dependent on Russia Among Central, Eastern European Countries
Bulgaria is the most vulnerable country to Russian influence in Central and Eastern Europe, showed data from a survey of the Centre for the Study of Democracy, carried out in 5 countries – Bulgaria, Serbia, Latvia, Hungary and Slovakia.
The most significant imprint of Russian influence on Bulgaria’s economy is energy dependence, reckon experts.
It is impossible to estimate the percentage of economic dependence on Russia due to the network of hollow firms and offshore accounts.
In spite of this, at least 22% of Bulgaria’s economy is dependent on Russia, especially energy-wise, commented economist Ruslan Stefanov.
“The price of Russian natural gas is at least 25% higher for Bulgaria than it is, compared to countries like Germany. The reason is that we have no alternatives. In spite of this, there must be proceeds from the transit of gas: What is being done with the proceeds from the transit of this gas? For example, up to the moment, Bulgaria has received about 100 million every year,” said Stefanov.
- » Half a Million Bulgarians Engaged in Undeclared Work
- » Bulgarian Institutions Continue to Use Unprotected Websites
- » Bulgarian Food Safety Agency: Over 30 Tonnes of Food Confiscated in August
- » Sociologist Forecasts Dynamic Political Season in Bulgaria
- » A Limit of 90 km/h is Introduced on Trakia Highway between Chirpan and Stara Zagora
- » Heating Prices in Sofia will Rise by About 8% from October 1