Tension in Bulgaria's Harmanli Refugee Camp Escalates
Tension in the refugee centre in Harmanli is escalating. Over 2,000 migrants clashed directly with the police and the gendarmerie, reported BNR.
The management of the State Agency for Refugees is also there in an attempt to hold talks with the protesters.
Earlier, the Interior Ministry announced that the situation is under control and that no use of force or auxiliary means had become necessary.
The new building, which was supposed to be opened this week and which was built with European funds, is being demolished. Mattresses, beds, chairs, plastic pipes are being carried out.
Migrants, who are protesting against the temporary restriction to leave the centre, want the border with Serbia to be opened. They have started a third consecutive fire. Everything is covered in black smoke.
Backup units have arrived which, for the moment, are refraining from doing anything against the refugees. A water cannon has been brought, but it has not been used yet. Negotiations are being held but the refugees are implacable.
Dinko from Yambol also known as “the hunter of refugees” has arrived in front of the camp. He announced that 1,000 people from all over the country will arrive at any moment and follow him. He stated that the border must be opened and the refugees must be taken out.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend