EP To Recommend Freezing of Negotiations with Turkey
The European Parliament is planning on recommending the suspension of negotiations on the accession of Turkey to the European Union due to the violation of democratic standards by the government in Ankara.
The largest groups in Strasbourg of the European People's Party (EPP), the Socialists and Liberals said they will vote in favor of the resolution, which has no legal consequences.
Under European legislation, a temporary freezing of negotiations with a candidate country may be proposed by the European Commission or by the governments of 21 member-states, representing 65% of EU’s population. This must then be adopted with a qualified majority of the Council of Ministers.
The deal between the two countries started with promise which EU gave Turkey in return for its cooperation to limit the flow of refugees across its border and to take back migrants rejected for asylum in Europe.
The opening of new negotiation chapters was one of the promises which the EU made to Turkey in exchange for its cooperation on the readmission of illegal migrants.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel announced that her intentions are to continue cooperating with Turkey and underlined that she will insist on freedom of speech and respect for human rights.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Eurostat: Annual Inflation in the Eurozone Fell to 8.5% in January
- » The European Commission approved Funds for Highway "Europa" from Sofia to Kalotina
- » Record Sales of Electric Cars in Europe for 2022
- » EU with Higher Solar and Wind Energy Production in 2022 than Gas
- » EU: The Eurozone will avoid Recession this Winter
- » A Greek Fighter Jet has Crashed in the Ionian Sea, the Two Pilots are Missing