Bulgaria's Yambol Braces for anti-Migrant Protest
A protest is due in the southern Bulgarian town of Yambol on Saturday over the accommodation of migrants in the area, public broadcaster BNR reports.
A torch-lit rally will be held over plans to set up a temporary center in the nearby village of Boyanovo between 18:00 and 21:00 local time (EET), the radio quotes Krasimira Koleva, one of the organizers, as saying.
Anger has been piling up among some locals in Yambol and adjacent villages for weeks over rumours that thousands of migrants will be accommodated in Boyanovo.
The development comes despite assurances from locals that movement into and out of the center will be restricted and that only 330 migrants will be accommodated.
Demonstrations were held earlier this autumn, but the next protests were postponed for until after the presidential election.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend