Bulgaria Cracks Down on Migrant Smuggling Ring via Serbia
Bulgarian authorities have busted a people smuggling ring bringing migrants to Western Europe via Serbia, the national security service says.
The joint operation has been conducted in coordination among the Interior Ministry, the State Agency for National Security (DANS) and the the regional prosecutor's office in Vidin, northwestern Bulgaria.
Two Bulgarian nationals have been arrested.
Pretrial proceedings have been launched over people smuggling.
Another one, also a Bulgarian national, has been detained. Police maintain he drove as many as 82 migrants from Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh, of whom 78 were registered in Bulgaria upon their entry from Turkey.
- » 10 People Arrested in Sofia for Drug Distribution
- » Nearly 100 kg of Heroin for BGN 3.6 Million Were Seized at the Danube Bridge Border Checkpoint
- » 11 Injured in a Shootout in Edirne
- » 18 People Were Killed and Dozens Were Injured in a Bomb Blast in Syrian City
- » Three People Were Killed and One Was Injured in a Shooting in Istanbul
- » More than a Tonne of Cocaine Was Found in a Banana Container in Italy