Greece Commemorates 43 Years of November 17
On Thursday, Greece commemorates 43 years of the student revolt against the military dictatorship in the country.
On November 17, 1973, tanks were sent to crush the student protest at the Technical University in Athens. The demonstration was crushed but, a few months later, the military regime in Greece was also defeated.
November 17 is more than a national holiday for the Greeks. On this day, students honour all who died during the revolt at the Athens Polythechnic. There are mass marches and demonstrations of students and pupils in all student towns in Greece. Traditionally, the Communist Party heads the protests.
The slogans: Bread, Education, Freedom are the same as 43 years ago.
Contemporary messages like: Let the capitalists pay for the crisis have been added.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Kremlin Supports the Serbs in Kosovo - The West blames Pristina
- » Stoltenberg: NATO will deploy 700 more soldiers in Kosovo
- » 25 NATO soldiers were Injured in Clashes in Kosovo
- » Clashes between police and Serbs in Northern Kosovo
- » The Situation in Northern Kosovo is Calm - Vucic no longer Leader of his Party
- » Vucic raised the Combat Readiness of the Army and ordered the Serbs to March towards Kosovo