Head of Romania's Central Election Commission Arrested for Corruption
The Chairwoman of the Central Election Commission of Romania Ana Maria Petru has been arrested on the eve of parliamentary elections in the country.
Petru has been indicted on charges of corruption. In the period 2008-2009, she paid EUR 210,000 to a company headed by her husband.
The Agency for Combating Corruption accused Petru of receiving a EUR 50,000 bribe from a businessman in return for him getting a contract with the Ministry of Economy.
The Central Election Commission will be headed temporarily by one of Petru’s deputies.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Travel Chaos in UK as Europeans Suspend Flights
- » Boris Johnson in Brussels Tomorrow for Brexit Talks
- » COVID-19 Death Toll in France Crosses 55,000 Mark
- » Latvia Extends Emergency Situation Until January 11
- » COVID-19 Cases in Germany Surpasses 1 Million
- » Germany Prolongs Coronavirus Restrictions until December 20