EC Questions Continuing Negotiations on Turkey's Membership
For the first time, the European Commission has questioned continuing the negotiations with Turkey for full membership in the European Union.
Johannes Hahn, Commissioner for Enlargement Negotiations, presented to the foreign affairs commission of the European Parliament the reports on Turkey and the candidate states of the Western Balkans.
Turkey is reneging on its obligations related to the rule of law and democracy, stated Hahn. The measures taken by the government after the coup attempt in July raise serious questions regarding the violation of human rights.
“These actions, including the intention to reinstate capital punishment, appear irreconcilable with Turkey’s official wish to become a member of the EU. It is time for Ankara to tell us what it wants. This is a test of the trust in Ankara but also of the trust in the EU itself.”
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Eurostat: Annual Inflation in the Eurozone Fell to 8.5% in January
- » The European Commission approved Funds for Highway "Europa" from Sofia to Kalotina
- » Record Sales of Electric Cars in Europe for 2022
- » EU with Higher Solar and Wind Energy Production in 2022 than Gas
- » EU: The Eurozone will avoid Recession this Winter
- » A Greek Fighter Jet has Crashed in the Ionian Sea, the Two Pilots are Missing