Bulgaria's President: Russia Is Trying To Divide, Weaken Europe
Europe has not gone back to the Cold War, rather it has been involved in a new, dangerous confrontation with Russia which we call “cold peace”, stated Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev in an interview for BBC on Friday.
In the interview, Plevneliev warns that Russia is trying to divide and weaken Europe, and insists that Europe should react firmly to Russian influence in Bulgaria and the continent.
According to Plevneliev, the main instruments which Russia uses in Europe are financing populist political parties and extremist movements, leading mass propaganda and destabilising its opponents via cyber attacks.
The threat nowadays is not for Russian tanks to invade Europe but for Russian influence to divide the continent, added the president.
“Today, the game is not for a large-scale war and shooting at the enemy; Mr Putin’s game is to make other countries dependent. Today, Russia is trying to weaken, to divide Europe and make us dependent.”
It is very important for Europe to have a firm and stable policy regarding Russia, concluded Plevneliev.
- » Euractiv: Bulgaria to Launch Joint Application to Euro Waiting Room and Banking Union
- » Minister Kralev: We should use New Technologies to Show the Beauty of Sport and to Motivate for Physical Activity
- » Improving Security through Information Sharing: Council Agrees Negotiating Mandate on Interoperability
- » Deputy Minister of Defence Atanas Zapryanov Opened an International Scientific Conference on Cybersecurity and Cyber Defence
- » Screening of Investments: Council Agrees its Negotiating Stance
- » Audiovisual Media Services: Agreement on a Directive to Protect Minors, Boost Competitiveness and Promote European Content
We can not forget that Russia have chosen its allies and they are Greece and Serbia.. and even in the case of good Russian intentions their intentions are not good sometimes... but we do have respect for Russia and do not need a president that ignore this... we need a president that is able to say No to foreign powers and protect the national interests.. not someone that is repeating like parrot statements invented in someone\'s NGO\'s .