Bulgaria, Russia Sign Debt Settlement Deal on Belene Nuclear Project
Bulgaria has committed to a fast-track payment of the debt on the Belene nuclear power plant (NPP) project, Energy Minister Temenuzhka Petkova has said.
In return, Atomstroyexport, the company which was involved in the Belene NPP, will not demand interest generated on the money.
State owned National Electricity Company (NEK) has a deadline until December 15 to pay the full amount of more than EUR 0.62 B.
If it complies with the deadline, EUR 23 M worth of interest will be cancelled, Focus News Agency quoted Petkova as saying at a press conference.
In her words, two documents signed between NEK and Atomstroyexport on Wednesday solve a problem in bilateral relations.
The EU will now have to give its stance on the disbursement of state aid to NEK, which the Bulgarian government approved earlier in September, as a way to pay off the debt.
Kirill Komarov, first deputy CEO of Rosatom, who also attended the press conference, confirmed the information.T
The Belene NPP was abandoned in 2012. In June of this year, Bulgaria lost an arbitration lawsuit filed by Atomstroyexport over the project's cancellation.
In return, Bulgaria will receive the nuclear reactor and equipment produced for the plant's purposes.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 32,000 Barrels of Fuel reach Ukraine from Bulgaria Every Day
- » Bulgarian MPs Banned the Export of Crude Oil and Oil Products from Russia
- » By the End of 2024, Bulgaria will be able to Import Russian Crude Oil
- » Protest in Sofia under the slogan "To Protect Bulgaria’s Energy Security"
- » Azerbaijan Confirmed the Supply of 12 Billion cubic meters of Gas to the EU in 2023
- » Warm Weather and Wind Power Generation favor the Gas Situation in Europe