Bulgarian Movie 'Losers' to Compete for Oscar with 84 Titles
Karatsi ("Losers") of Ivaylo Hristov is among the 85 movies vying in the Foreign Language Film contest of the 89th Academy Awards.
The Bulgarian title was awarded the Golden George prize at the Moscow International Film Festival (MIFF) last year. It tells the story of a secondary school student and his life as a loser in a small Bulgarian town.
The Academy has said it will announce the shortlist on January 17. The ceremony is scheduled for January 26.
Other titles in the Best Foreign Language Film contest include I Am Nojoom, Age 10 and Divorced (Yemen), which deals with child marriage; Smrt u Sarajevu ("Death in Sarajevo"), which traces a 100-year history of conflict; and Luxembourg's Voices from Chernobyl, based on a book by last year's Nobel Prize winner, Belarusian non-fiction writer and investigative journalist Svetlana Alexievich.
- » Bulgarian Artist Christo's 'London Mastaba' Made from over 7,000 Stacked Barrels Floats on Serpentine Lake
- » The Bulgarian "Cultural Reforms" Movement Begins a Series of Cultural Policy Forums
- » SKILLET in Sofia with First Solo Concert in Bulgaria!
- » The 11th Bulgarian Cinema Festival in Rome is Coming soon
- » The ANASTACIA Concert in Sofia is Canceled
- » IMANY with Two Big Concerts in Sofia and Plovdiv in June