Bulgaria Ranks 2nd Worldwide In Terms Of Deats Due To Air Pollution
Bulgaria ranks second in terms of deaths per capita caused by air pollution, showed data of the World Health Organisation published on Tuesday.
With 118 deaths per 100,000 people, Bulgaria occupies the unenviable second position, immediately after Ukraine with 120/100,000 cases caused by pollution of the air with fine dust particles. Belarus ranked third and Russia fourth.
The probable explanation is heavy industry in these countries, posted The Guardian.
The organisation published, for the first time, interactive maps which delineate dangerous regions of countries exceeding the admissible limits of air pollution allowed by the organisation.
The UN has warned in previous reports that fine dust particles from vehicles, electric power plants and other sources kill 3 million people worldwide every year.
In this ranking, China is 10th with 76 deaths per 100,000 people. The last positions are occupied by Iceland, Finland and Canada.
On a global scale, 92% of the population live in countries with air polluted above admissible levels and standards, reported WHO.
Nearly 90% of all deaths caused by air pollution are registered in countries with low and average income, mainly in Southeast Asia and the Western part of the Pacific Ocean.
94% of the deaths are caused by non-contagious diseases – heart disease, lung disease, lung cancer. Air pollution increases the risk of acute respiratory infections.
A total of 16 scientists from 8 international institutions worked with the WHO on the analysis which compiles data from 3,000 locations. The levels of pollution have been measured via monitoring, modeling and satellite surveillance.
- » Rare Bird Species Recorded During Wintering Waterbird Count in Bulgaria
- » 10 Incidents with Radioactive Sources Registered in Bulgaria in 2018
- » Warning Issued as Australia's Heat Wave Hits Record Highs
- » Hurricane Wind Damages Buildings and Cut off Power Lines in Sopot
- » Code Yellow Warning for Strong Winds in Place for 18 Bulgarian Regions
- » Mostly Sunshine Today in Bulgaria, Temperatures will Rise to between 3° and 8°C