Bulgarian TV Host Registers Committee for Referendum on Political System
Bulgarian talkshow host Slavi Trifonov has filed the documents of an initiative committee that will lead the campaign for his referendum on the politial system.
Registration started earlier in September as Bulgaria braces for a 2-in-1 vote, with presidential elections and the referendum due on November 06.
The three questions in the referendum proposal are related to the introduction of compulsory voting, the introduction of a majority electoral system and cutting the state subsidy paid to political parties and coalitions to BGN 1 for each valid vote won by them in elections.
The three controversial issues were whether the number of MPs should be cut in half to 120, whether to allow remote online voting (already approved in a referendum last year) and whether the top officials at the Interior Ministry's regional directorates should be elected by the people, instead of being appointed.
Some parties, such as left-wing ABV have already urged Bulgarians to vote "yes".
- » PM Boyko Borissov Comments the Change in the Position of the Bulgarian Government on Belene NPP
- » The Gay Parade - Main Reason For Volen Siderov to Run For Mayor of Sofia
- » The First Bulgarian Sports Electric Car Will be Unveiled in Sofia in October
- » The Construction of Turkish Stream Officially Begins
- » MEPs to Meet For Mobility Package
- » Interpol drops Red Notice for Zhelyaz Andreev