Kristalina Georgieva Hints at Entry into UN Chief Race - AFP
EU Commission Vice President Kristalina Georgieva has indicated she might join the race to become the next UN Secretary General.
Georgieva has shown she is ready to take part in the contest to replace Ban Ki-moon, but has made it clear "this is a decision for the Bulgarian government," AFP quotes her as telling the International Peace Institute.
She has added it is "an honour" for her to find out that so many people encourage her to run.
Bulgaria's official nominee Irina Bokova, the Durector General of UNESCO, is facing an "ultimatum" from the government of Boyko Borisov, who said last week her candidacy may be replaced if she did not perform better at the upcoming straw poll than she did at thе previous one.
Bokova's ranking in the straw polls, held in the UN Security Council since the summer, has ranged between the third and the fifth spot. The polls encourage or discourage some of the candidates to continue the race of withdraw their candidacy, respectively.
On September 26, the last straw poll is expected that is to lead to a formal proposal of a candidate made by the Security Council.
According to reports dated earlier in September, several Eastern European countries mulled raising the candidacy of Georgieva, with the support of Germany.
But the EU Commission official has emphasized she is not seeking and willing to be nominated by a country other than Bulgaria.
AFP has suggested that Georgieva's candidacy is backed by Germany, following a dispute between Berlin and Moscow over claims that German Chancellor Angela Merkel asked Russian officials whether they would support any Bulgarian candidate other than Bokova.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Lavrov: After the Mess Up in Bulgaria, our Embassy cannot Function Normally
- » Russia stopped issuing Tourist Visas for Bulgarians
- » History: How many Times were Diplomatic Relations between Russia and Bulgaria Severed
- » 70 Diplomats and Employees of the Russian Embassy are Leaving Bulgaria
- » Expelled Russian Diplomats are Leaving Bulgaria with their Families: 2 Flights are Taking Out more than 160 People Today
- » Ambassador Mitrofanova will Propose to Putin the Closure of the Russian Embassy in Bulgaria