Bulgaria's GERB Demands Apology from Russian MP over 'Harmful' Comments
Russian lawmaker and journalist Pyotr Tolstoy should issue an apology for his "unacceptable" comments that his country will buy out Bulgaria, the deputy head of Bulgaria's main ruling party has said.
"The opinion of Tolstoy harms bilateral relations between Bulgaria and Russia," Tsveta Karayancheva has said, reading a declaration authored by GERB's parliamentary faction.
Tolstoy said on Sunday, as his country was going to the polls, that Russia "will buy the entire Bulgaria."
"We have already purchased half of its coast," he added, while talking to a Bulgarian National Television reporter.
"We believe that United Russia party does not stand behind his words and we are calling on it to distance itself from them," Karayancheva has added.
United Russia is the biggest party in Parliament, led by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, on whose ticket Tolstoy gained an MP seat as the party resoundingly won the elections.
"We will not allow anyone to question the territorial integrity of our country, to instill us an inferiority complex," Karayancheva has read out from the Parliament's rostrum.
She has also dismissed claims that Russia owned half of Bulgaria's Black Sea coast as "untrue" and "manipulative" and has urged the MP from making scandalous geopolitical statements that confront Russophiles and Russophobes.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria, Valeri Simeonov: The Government Remains, And So Does the Prime Minister
- » Bulgaria's PM Boyko Borissov: I Am Ready to Step Down at Any Moment
- » Bulgaria Versus EU: Decent Economy but Poor Quality of Life
- » Former British Minister Arrested on Saturday for Alleged Rape
- » Another 1,000 US Troops to be Send to Poland
- » US Troops to be Send to Bulgaria and Romania