Bulgaria Calls for 'Immediate' EUR 160 M Border Assistance Package
Bulgaria's Prime Minister Boyko Borisov has insisted the EU should approve EUR 160 M worth of border assistance at the forthcoming Bratislava Summit this week.
The package should be allocated "immediately", and not over the next period, BGNES wire service quotes him as saying at an inspection of the fence at the border with Turkey near Lesovo, Southeastern Bulgaria.
Borisov has visited the border fence area jointly with his Hungarian counterpart Viktor Orb?n, who has been in Sofia since Tuesday.
"Europe's external borders are common and so is interest of all states in solving the problem," Borisov had emphasized.
Bulgaria has successfully protected its border by now "as a true Schengen border of Europe", but has found itself in dire straits with billions in payments on nuclear-related issues this year, he has added.
"Immense effort is being made and those caught by us at the border are sent back to Turkey. At the same time I have always said Turkey needs help as well, since they are in the same situation we are in," Borisov has added.
He has also voiced his optimism with regard to a rapprochement between Turkey and Europe on the migrant crisis.
"You see our Turkish counterparts have already become more inclined to dialogue. They don't talk about [not upholding to the migrant deal in case not visa-free regime is granted by the EU by] October anymore. What they talk about is how to find options for this agreement to continue working.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend