Emergency Declared on Greece's Thassos Island over Wildfire
A state of emergency has been declared on the island of Thassos in Greece over a wildfire raging since Saturday, the Bulgarian National Radio reports.
Hundreds of firefighters have been battling the flames since Saturday. No-one has been hurt.
Helicopters have also joined the effort to put out the flames, Focus News Agency says citing Greek website Protothema.
"All measures are taken to protect the life of people on the island," Thassos Mayor Kostas Hatziemmanouil has said.
Most of the tourists to the island, including groups of Bulgarians, have already been able to leave the island, according to the Bulgarian National Radio's correspondent in Greece.
There is no risk for the Hilendar Monastery on Mount Athous, where a fire also broke out earlier this weekend.
The fire on Thassos and Mount Athos was reportdly caused by lightning.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Actor Alec Baldwin Fired a Props Pistol During Filming and Killed Camerawoman Halina Hutchins
- » Anti-Vaxers Attacked Bulgarian Education Minister Denkov
- » Earthquake on the Island of Bali has Claimed Lives
- » British MP Stabbed in a Church
- » A Dane Killed Five People with a Bow in Norway
- » Tsunami and Property Damage after 6.4 Earthquake in Crete, Greece