Emergency Declared on Greece's Thassos Island over Wildfire
A state of emergency has been declared on the island of Thassos in Greece over a wildfire raging since Saturday, the Bulgarian National Radio reports.
Hundreds of firefighters have been battling the flames since Saturday. No-one has been hurt.
Helicopters have also joined the effort to put out the flames, Focus News Agency says citing Greek website Protothema.
"All measures are taken to protect the life of people on the island," Thassos Mayor Kostas Hatziemmanouil has said.
Most of the tourists to the island, including groups of Bulgarians, have already been able to leave the island, according to the Bulgarian National Radio's correspondent in Greece.
There is no risk for the Hilendar Monastery on Mount Athous, where a fire also broke out earlier this weekend.
The fire on Thassos and Mount Athos was reportdly caused by lightning.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Heavy Car-Crash with Two Dead on the road Ruse-Byala
- » Bulgaria: New Bomb Threats sent to Schools in Sofia - Author says he is a Russian Nationalist
- » Bulgaria: Car Crash with Migrants near Sofia
- » Bulgaria: A Man Died after being Hit by a Freight Train in Kazanlak
- » Bulgaria: A 12-year-old Child caught Driving at 120 km/h on Trakia Highway
- » Bulgaria: A 29-year-old Man Died in a Car Crash - An Injured Baby is in a Hospital