Last Bulgarian King's Party Endorses Maverick Socialist for President
The National Movement for Stability and Prosperity (NDSV) has backed presidential candidate Tatyana Doncheva and has raised one of its members as a running mate.
NDSV was founded around the figure of last King and Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha in 2001 as he returned to Bulgaria to run in the parliamentary elections and became Prime Minister in June of the same year.
The party, which has been going through dire straits, failing to make it to Parliament for more than a decade, has also put forward the name of Mincho Spasov as a vice presidential candidate. Spasov has been a member of NDSV since 2001, having win MP seats in both the 2001 and 2005 elections.
The pair will be a joint nomination of NDSV and Doncheva's Movement 21 and will be backed by an initiative committee which includes renowned public figures, Dnevnik.bg quotes Doncheva as saying at a press conference of the two parties.
Presidents should not be left-wing or right-wing and should encourage politicians to put more emphasis on education and culture, Doncheva has also argued. She has also demanded that the head of state be in charge of appointing and dismissing the country's Chief Prosecutor.
Doncheva initially supported talks among left-of-center parties to select a joint presidential nominee, but pulled out of them last month and announced she would run on her own.
Presidential elections are due on November 06. GERB, the biggest party in Parliament, has not yet announced its candidate and will not do so before October 02.
- » Bulgaria is Part of the 8 Countries Where a New Supercomputer will be Installed
- » Bulgarian Trade Unions and Employers Against Reduction of VAT on Flour and Medicines
- » Bulgarian Cabinet Adopted the Annual Report of the Council for Disaster Risk Reduction
- » 28 New Electric Cars BMW and Hyundai Will be Launched in Sofia
- » Sofia Municipality is Preparing a Program For Improvement of the Air by 2026 with EU Funds
- » From BGN 500 to BGN 12 000 Fine For Outdoor Noise After 23:00