Frontex Deploying 100 Officers in Bulgaria to Boost Border Surveillance
The European border management agency Frontex will deploy 100 border surveillance officers at Bulgaria’s borders with Turkey and Serbia to help stem a migrant inflow, Bulgarian public radio BNR reported on Tuesday.
Fifteen of the Frontex officers will be deployed at the border checkpoints, while the remaining 85 will conduct surveiilance at Bulgaria’s land borders, BNR said citing Border Police sources.
Frontex said earlier this month that it would deploy surveillance officers, patrol cars, thermo-vision vans and dog teams to Bulgaria’s land borders with Turkey and Serbia in response to a request from the government in Sofia.
Irregular migrants crossing into Bulgaria from Turkey try to enter Serbia, from where to reach the wealthier countries of western and northern Europe.
- » Eurostat: Bulgaria Ranks First in the EU in Terms of Road Accident Rates
- » The Deadline For Submission of Applications For Belene NPP Expires
- » EU Wants to Ban Australia from Using "Bulgarian Rose Oil" Signature Name
- » Bulgaria is the First Country in Europe to Introduce Car Passports
- » Bulgaria to Decide Eurovision 2020 Participation in September.
- » Bulgaria and EU Share Road Funding