Frontex Deploying 100 Officers in Bulgaria to Boost Border Surveillance
The European border management agency Frontex will deploy 100 border surveillance officers at Bulgaria’s borders with Turkey and Serbia to help stem a migrant inflow, Bulgarian public radio BNR reported on Tuesday.
Fifteen of the Frontex officers will be deployed at the border checkpoints, while the remaining 85 will conduct surveiilance at Bulgaria’s land borders, BNR said citing Border Police sources.
Frontex said earlier this month that it would deploy surveillance officers, patrol cars, thermo-vision vans and dog teams to Bulgaria’s land borders with Turkey and Serbia in response to a request from the government in Sofia.
Irregular migrants crossing into Bulgaria from Turkey try to enter Serbia, from where to reach the wealthier countries of western and northern Europe.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria