Frontex Deploying 100 Officers in Bulgaria to Boost Border Surveillance
The European border management agency Frontex will deploy 100 border surveillance officers at Bulgaria’s borders with Turkey and Serbia to help stem a migrant inflow, Bulgarian public radio BNR reported on Tuesday.
Fifteen of the Frontex officers will be deployed at the border checkpoints, while the remaining 85 will conduct surveiilance at Bulgaria’s land borders, BNR said citing Border Police sources.
Frontex said earlier this month that it would deploy surveillance officers, patrol cars, thermo-vision vans and dog teams to Bulgaria’s land borders with Turkey and Serbia in response to a request from the government in Sofia.
Irregular migrants crossing into Bulgaria from Turkey try to enter Serbia, from where to reach the wealthier countries of western and northern Europe.
- » PM: Decision on Hungary Taken at Government Operative Meeting has no Legal Value but has Moral Significance
- » Bulgaria Stands Behind Hungary and Against Brussels
- » 500 Terminals for e-vignettes will Operate Across Bulgaria from 2019
- » Bulgaria: BNT is not Planning a Junior Eurovision Return in 2019
- » EU Parliament Approves €34 Million in Aid to Greece, Poland, Lithuania and Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian President: The EU will be Successful only if it Represents the Success of all its Member States