Bulgaria Detains 13 Irregular Migrants near Border with Turkey
The Bulgarian border police have detained 13 irregular migrants in a passenger car driven by a Bulgarian citizen in the vicinity of Svilengrad, close to the border with Turkey.
Border police spotted the Audi station wagon between the villages of Sladuna and Studena on Tuesday. They ordered the driver to stop for inspection but he disobeyed and tried to escape.
The 35-year old driver was later arrested after a chase.
The 13 migrants left behind in the car – four men, three women and six children - carried no identity documents. All of them claimed to be Syrian citizens, the Ministry of the Interior said in a statemen5t on Wednesday.
The ministry also said that border police at Elhovo Regional Directorate have thwarted 12 attempts of a total of 220 irregular migrants to enter Bulgaria from Turkey over the past 24 hours.
- » Record for Bulgaria: Family Gave EUR 40,000 to Phone Scammers
- » Vandals Cut 29 Newly Planted Trees on Sofia's Ring Road
- » Bulgaria Uncovers Skimming Equipment, Fake Documents Workshop
- » Ministry of Interior Busted a Drug Lab near Varna
- » 18-year-old Girl Beaten by her Boyfriend in Sofia
- » Suicide Bomber Kills more than 100 at Pakistan Election Rally