IOM Records Almost 264,000 Migrants Arrivals by Sea in Europe in 2016
An estimated 263,636 migrants and refugees have entered Europe by sea in 2016 through 7 August, according to the latest tally released by the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
Most arrivals have been recorded in Greece and Italy – 160,888 and 100,244.
The number of arrivals in Italy so far this yearis virtually the same as in 2015, when arrivals at this point totalled 100,179, the IOM said in a statement on Tuesday. There were 24,000 migrant and refugee arrivals in Italy last month.
A total of 1,241 migrants have been rescued in the Channel of Sicily since August 5, the IOM added.
The IOM has recorded 3,176 migrant and refugees fatalities through August 8.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 221 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russians withdraw from Lyman, Zelensky vows for more Recaptured Territories
- » Day 220 of the Invasion of Ukraine: The West Reacts to Putin’s Speech and his Nuclear Threats
- » China's Yuan sinks to record Low against Dollar ahead of key National Congress
- » 19 Killed in Anti-Government Protests in Iran
- » US: Death Toll reaches 21 in Florida as Hurricane Ian hits South Carolina
- » Kyiv's response to Putin: Ukraine quickly Enters NATO