Bulgaria's Left-Wingers Agree on Air Force Chief Candidacy for President
Leaders Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) and left-wing ABV have announced they are moving closer to nominating the outgoing Air Force Commander, Maj Gen Rumen Radev, to run in the next presidential elections.
"The two parties are getting closer to each other as regards the possible candidacy of Gen Rumen Radev," BGNES wire service quotes Korneliya Ninova, the head of BSP, as saying.
The two parties have made the announcement at a joint press conference.
Ninova, however, has made clear no official nomination is being made as of the moment, and all candidacies currently discussed by the BSP will be reviewed once more at a national conference.
Georgi Parvanov, Alternative for Bulgarian Revival (ABV) leader and former President (2002-2012) of the country, has said he is withdrawing his party's previous proposal, which included himself and former Labor Minister Ivaylo Kalfin as his running mate.
"We are convinced that Gen Radev is a strong candidacy that stands all chance to win the presidential elections," he has made clear.
Their joint announcement follows a move by the government to formally propose the general for discharge at his own request.
Presidential elections are scheduled for November 06, with no major political party having raised an official nomination as of midday on August 10.
Radev's candidacy is seen as a possible "compromise" between the BSP and ABV after the two parties were involved in an exchange of hostile rhetoric over Parvanov's intention to run.
The BSP is Bulgaria's second-largest party in Parliament and the biggest opposition force. ABV, led by Parvanov, splintered off the socialists in 2014.
- » 31st EU Contest for Young Scientists Kicks off in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov: The Economy is Moving at Such Pace that we Cannot Manage with the Infrastructure
- » 59 Political Parties And 7 Coalitions Will Participate in the October Local Elections
- » PM Borissov: Bulgaria Has Not Given up on Schengen
- » Mezdra-Botevgrad Road is Modernized with BGN 420 million From the Toll System
- » National Protest of the Healthcare Professionals