Unique Byzantine Coin Discovered in Bulgaria's Balchik
Bulgarian archaeologists have unearthed a medieval coin depicting Emperor Nikephoros II Phokas (910s-969) in Balchik, by the northern Black Sea coast, local media report.
Next to the emperor is Virgin Mary.
The golden coin has been discovered in a state that would allow it to be exhibited "immediately", news website dnes.bg quotes the head of the Balchik museum as saying.
The rare find was unearthed during a summer training of Archaeology students from the Sofia University St Kliment Ohridski which took place at the Horizont fortress.
Horizont ("Horizon") is the biggest 6th century fortress known to have been built on Bulgarian land.
- » Thracian Tomb of Sveshtari: Part of the UNESCO World Heritage List
- » Traces of Ancient Civilization were Found in the UK
- » Mexico Earthquake Leads to Discovery of Ancient Temple
- » A Massive, Black Sarcophagus Has Been Unearthed in Egypt, And Nobody Knows Who's Inside
- » Homer Odyssey: Oldest Extract Discovered on Clay Tablet
- » Boy, 11, finds ‘1,000 year old message’ Written in Runes on Pendant made of Mammoth Bone