EU’s Mogherini Calls on Turkey to Respect Human Rights during Emergency Rule
Turkey should not be using democratic institutions to undercut human rights, the EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini has said.
“We are making it very clear to our Turkish friends – we are fully behind the institutions, the democratic institutions, the legitimate institutions,” Reuters quoted Mogherini as saying after remarks at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Washington on Thursday.
“But there is no excuse, there is no way in which the reaction can undermine fundamental freedoms and rights,” Mogherini said. She described as unacceptable the measures taken by the authorities in the fields of judiciary, education, and media.
Thousands of civil servants, university deans, teachers, soldiers and magistrates have been dismissed or detained since last week’s failed coup attempt in Turkey.
Turkey will suspend the European Convention on Human Rights during a state of emergency it declared after the failed coup, the country’s Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said earlier on Thursday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The President of Austria regrets that his country blocked Bulgaria and Romania for Schengen
- » Romania's Mass Boycott against Austria after the Schengen Decision
- » Romanian Diplomat: Austria is playing a Double Game between the EU and Russia, these are Anti-European semi-Mafia Actions
- » The Dutch Government will officially Apologize for Slavery
- » Netherlands: Bulgaria has a problem with Human Rights and the Fight against Corruption
- » Officially: Bulgaria and Romania out of Schengen, Croatia is in