Bulgarian President Strongly Condemns Nice Attack
Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev strongly condemned Thursday's attack in Nice which claimed the lives of at least 84 people and left around fifty other injured.
The attack, which has been classified by French authorities as being of “terrorist nature”, occurred when a lorry rammed into a crowd celebrating the national holiday of France – Bastille Day.
It occurred on the popular Promenade des Anglais towards the end of the traditional fireworks.
The driver of the lorry, who has been identified as 31-year-old man of dual French-Tunisian nationality, was killed by the security forces after he had driven the lorry for two kilometres through the crowd.
In a letter of condolences addressed to his French counterpart Francois Hollande, Plevneliev notes that such acts of cruel violence and hatred are completely unacceptable and can not be justified by any means.
The president states that Bulgaria is shocked and strongly condemns the attack targeting the foundations of our civilisation.
This act of helplessness showed the need to remain united and decisive in the fight against terrorist threats.
In the words of Plevneliev, it was our common duty to join efforts and work for the building of more safe and peaceful world.
On behalf of the Bulgarian nation, the president expressed his sincerest condolences to the relatives of the victims and wished speedy recovery of the injured.
He was convinced that France will remain unflinching in its efforts to identify and punish the perpetrators of this inhumane act.
Earlier, Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov and Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov had also extended their condolences to the relatives of the victims.
The Bulgarian parliament commemorated the victims by observing a minute of silence on Friday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: No Need to Evacuate our Embassy in Ukraine
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: The Risk for Bulgaria is related to the Security in the Black Sea region
- » Overview: Where does Bulgaria Stand in the Tense Situation between NATO, Ukraine and Russia
- » Bulgaria and North Macedonia will be Connected via another Border Crossing
- » The OECD is Starting Negotiations with Bulgaria and Five other Countries
- » Bulgarian President to PM of North Macedonia: Let's Make Progress on Important Topics