Sofia Appellate Court Acquits Former Deputy Parliament Speaker of Tax Evasion
Sofia Appellate Court acquitted on Friday former Deputy Parliament Speaker Hristo Biserov, reaffirming the ruling of the first instance court.
The ruling can be appealed or protested before the Supreme Court of Cassation in fifteen days.
At the end of last year, Sofia City Court (SGS) acquitted Biserov of all charges brought against him.
The investigation against him began at the end of 2013 when the prosecutor's office charged Biserov and his stepson, Ivaylo Glavinikov, of tax evasion and money laundering.
Biserov was brought to court on three charges – tax evasion amounting to nearly BGN 26 000, failure to declare currency deals and failure to declare to the National Audit Office BGN 700 000 held in bank accounts in Switzerland.
In February, SGS dropped the money laundering charge as the prosecution needed more information on his bank accounts in Switzerland. However the Swiss authorities did not provide it.
At the end of April, the prosecutor's office protested the acquittal at second instance, claiming that Biserov did not declare deposits amounting to USD 315 000 and over EUR 80 000.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Moldovans detained for Stealing nearly BGN 200,000 from Ukrainian Refugees in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: Large-scale Police Operation in Karnobat
- » Bulgaria: Scheme for Issuing Fake Green Certificates was Discovered in Sofia
- » Bulgarian Prosecutor's Office Launches Investigation for the so-called “Golden Passports”
- » Bulgaria: Man was Detained for Issuing Fake Certificates in Bansko
- » Bulgaria: British Man Attacked and Kicked a Nurse at the Hospital in Veliko Tarnovo