Prof. Ingrid Shikova: UK’s Brexit Vote Unsurprising
Everyone says that the news of the UK's decision to leave the EU is shocking, but Brexit has been in the making for many years, according to Prof. Ingrid Shikova from the European Studies Department of Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski.
Britain has always kept one foot out the door in its relationship with the EU, Shikova told Bulgarian bTV broadcaster on Friday after the UK voted to leave the bloc in a historic referendum the day before.
Today it is "a sad day for all Europeans who believe that unity is strength," Prof. Shikova opined.
The outcome of the referendum also means that the EU will find it more difficult to tackle the crises it is facing as a new one has been added to them – the need to hold "long and painful negotiations" with London on the unprecedented process of leaving, according to Prof. Shikova.
Prof Shikova said that she expected referendums on continued EU membership to take place in other EU member states as well and it was important to know how the bloc would react as a community.
"When there are difficulties in a family, it either consolidates or disintegrates," she said.
- » The GDPR Chaos in Bulgaria
- » Reuters: Bulgaria will take at least Three more Years to Join Euro Zone - EU's Dombrovskis
- » Industry Watch: Although Investments in Bulgaria are Increasing, after 2009 the Investment Activity is Weak
- » Amid Brexit and Rising Populism — There’s a European Country that’s Still Desperate to Join the Euro
- » What is the Origin of the Weirdest Bulgarian Expressions
- » Die Welt: The Italian Mafia Returns to Bulgaria and Romania
the block is not a community it is based on extortion and sucking of resources.. if North Stream is possible why South Stream is not..???? There should be some explanations...the billions that we received from EU are not given for industrial development and development of local production!! but for ecology... and other inessential activities..why.. and many more such questions. how can Merkel invite all Africa and Asia in EU without asking the other EU members?? how can the liberal demagogy be official undisputed ideology of an union??