Latest Migrant Arrivals in Europe by Sea Take 2016 Total to 214,691
An estimated 1,110 migrants and refugees have entered Europe by sea from June 16 through June 19, according to data from the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).
This compared with almost 3,000 people arriving in Europe, most of them in Greece and Italy, from June 12 through June 15.
The latest arrivals took the estimated total to 214,691 in 2016 through 19 June, the IOM said on Tuesday.
IOM estimates that from 1 January to 19 June 2016 55,510 migrants arrived by sea to Italy. There were about 59,000 arrivals during the same period last year.
Arrivals in Greece were 157,801through June 19, compared with 71,615 in the first six months of last year.
There were 2,861 fatalities at sea this year through June 19, about 1,000 ahead of the 1,838 deaths reported in the first six months of 2015.
- » Manfred Weber: Monitoring Mechanism on Bulgaria Must Be Abolished
- » Greece Shuts Down its Three Largest Migrant Camps
- » France: Nearly 15,000 Households Are still Without Electricity
- » Johnson: After Brexit, EU Citizens Will Be Treated Like Migrants from other Countries
- » The EU Is Launching a Lawsuit against the UK for Refusing to Nominate a Commissioner-Designate
- » Donald Tusk: UK Will Become a "Second-Rate Player" after Brexit