Serbian Police Find Irregular Migrants Near Border with Bulgaria
Serbian authoritiers found 56 irregular migrants hidden in two vans in the eastern part of the country near the border with Bulgaria, the Associated Press reported on Thursday.
Four suspected people smugglers were detained by Serbian police.
Police found 33 of the migrants in a van traveling on a road near the border, while the remaining 23 were found in another van near the town of Bor, in eastern Serbia, according to the AP.
Irregular migrants and refugees have increasingly used the route from Turkey via Bulgaria to Serbia to reach the wealthier nations in the EU such as Germany and Sweden after the so-called Western Balkan route leading from Greece via Macedonia and Serbia to Hungary and Croatia was closed in March.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Dramatic Increase in COVID-19 Infection in Balkan Countries
- » For the Serbian Patriarch, North Macedonia does not exist
- » Local Elections are being Held in North Macedonia
- » 44 Percent of Adults in North Macedonia have been Vaccinated
- » Protests and Political Instability in Slovenia Before EU-Western Balkans Summit
- » Entering North Macedonia will Require Vaccination Certificate Starting September 1