Bulgarian Authorities Confirm Rhythmic Gymnastics Athlete Attempted Suicide
Authorities confirmed that Bulgaria's rhythmic gymnastics athlete Tsvetelina Stoyanova attempted suicide.
The 21-year-old Stoyanova fell from the sixth floor of a block of flats in the Sofia neighbourhood of Nadezhda on Tuesday.
Both the police and the prosecutor's office explained that there was no external interference in the incident and Stoyanova jumped on her own.
The athlete was admitted to hospital, where she underwent complex surgery and her spleen was taken out.
Stoyanova had sustained heavy injuries to her stomach, chest and vertebrae and continues to be in critical condition.
Immediately after the incident, controversial information emerged as to what might have led to the attempt for suicide.
Authorities have not found suicide note and they do not exclude an accidental fall as the railing of the balcony is too low.
A neighbour said that on the night before the incident Stoyanova was very upset as she had not departed with the team for the European championship in Israel.
However former rhythmic gymnastics athlete and coach, Neshka Robeva, claims that the athlete had decided on her own not to travel with the team due to medical problems.
President of the Rhythmic Gymnastics Federation, Iliana Raeva, called for stopping with all speculations.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Locomotive Caught Fire at Tulovo Station
- » Train Chaos: Delays and Cancellations Disrupt Bulgarian Railways Services
- » Bulgaria: Nearly 800,000 Households are Still Without Electricity
- » PM Denkov Addresses Severe Power Outages in 1,000+ Settlements After Snowstorm
- » Four Flights To and From Varna Canceled due to the Bad Weather
- » Over 800 Reports of Fallen Trees and Branches in Sofia