Bulgarian Authorities Confirm Rhythmic Gymnastics Athlete Attempted Suicide
Authorities confirmed that Bulgaria's rhythmic gymnastics athlete Tsvetelina Stoyanova attempted suicide.
The 21-year-old Stoyanova fell from the sixth floor of a block of flats in the Sofia neighbourhood of Nadezhda on Tuesday.
Both the police and the prosecutor's office explained that there was no external interference in the incident and Stoyanova jumped on her own.
The athlete was admitted to hospital, where she underwent complex surgery and her spleen was taken out.
Stoyanova had sustained heavy injuries to her stomach, chest and vertebrae and continues to be in critical condition.
Immediately after the incident, controversial information emerged as to what might have led to the attempt for suicide.
Authorities have not found suicide note and they do not exclude an accidental fall as the railing of the balcony is too low.
A neighbour said that on the night before the incident Stoyanova was very upset as she had not departed with the team for the European championship in Israel.
However former rhythmic gymnastics athlete and coach, Neshka Robeva, claims that the athlete had decided on her own not to travel with the team due to medical problems.
President of the Rhythmic Gymnastics Federation, Iliana Raeva, called for stopping with all speculations.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: A Girl and a Woman Died in a Car Accident near Dimitrovgrad
- » Bulgaria: Pregnant Woman and a Child were Injured after a Police Car Chase with Migrants
- » Bulgaria: 42 Migrants caught in Nova Zagora
- » Bulgaria: Three Dead after a Car Accident in Stara Zagora region
- » Bulgaria: Two Workers Died during Excavation work in Pernik
- » A Bulgarian Woman is among the Seven Victims of the Landslide in Italy