Austrian Police Prevent Attempted Smuggling of 17 Migrants from Hungary
Austrian police thwarted an attempt to smuggle 17 irregilar migrants from Hungary, the AP reported on Sunday.
Police have found the people – 11 men and six women – inside a Romanian-registered vehicle stopped for a check at Nickelsdorf, on the border with Hungary. The irregular migrants came from Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Pakistan.
The driver of the vehicle, a Romanian citizen, has been detained over suspected people smuggling, according to the AP.
Austria re-introduced checks on its border with Hungary to curb the flow of irregular migrants in April.
- » Fight against Human Trafficking in Libya: EU Sanctions Six Human Traffickers and Smugglers in line with UN Decision
- » European Parliament Votes for €1 Billion in Aid to Ukraine
- » EU Budget: Commission Proposes Major Funding Increase for Stronger Borders and Migration
- » The European Commission Opens Competition for a €10 Million Prize for Low-cost Space Launch
- » Matteo Salvini and Viktor Orban form Unlikely Alliance over EU Migrants
- » According to the Top EU Court, Spouses may be of the same Sex