Bulgaria’s Pironkova Proceeds to Roland Garros Quarter-Finals
Tsvetana Pironkova on Tuesday became the first Bulgarian female tennis player to reach the quarter-finals at Roland Garros French Open since Sesil Karantancheva in 2005.
Second-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland lost 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 to Pironkova ranked 100 spots below her.
When the match was originally suspended on Sunday evening due to rain, Radwanska was leading 6-2, 3-0.
On Tuesday, however, Pironkova opened play by winning 10 straight games to win the second set and open up a 4-0 lead in the deciding third set.
Now Pironkova will meet 21st seed Samantha Stosur in the quarter-finals of the French Open tennis tournament.
- » Bulgaria Join Medal Table on Junior Swimming Championships 2019
- » Ivet Lalova with a Second Gold Medal in the Super League of Turkey's Athletics Club
- » The "Golden Girls" of Bulgaria with Gold Medals from the World Challenge Cup
- » China Wins Women's Doubles at ITTF World Tour in Bulgaria
- » Brazil, Bulgaria Win First Matches at Men's Volleyball Olympic Qualification in Varna
- » Changes in Traffic Around National Stadium Due to CSKA - Zorya Luhansk match