Getting There: Gela - Craddle of Orpheus
Perched on the foothills of the mountain below the highest Rhodopi peak Goliam Pereli (2191 m), Gela village is a real paradise for rest. Such a marvelous view can rarely be found anywhere else in the Rhodopi mountains. Today the village has no more than a few dozen habitants. Inside the village there are ruins of an old monastery as well as two old churches.
You can stay in private houses where you may prepare meals yourself or ask your hosts to prepare for you some traditional specialties. In the nearby villages Shiroka Luka and Stoikite villages you can find a few restaurants. You may reach the region only by car or by bus. You can go by train only to Plovdiv. You can go by bus to mountain resort Pamporovo or Smolian from Sofia (the bus station is close to the main train station) or from Plovdiv (bus station Rhodopi). Only one bus from Smolian goes to Gela village in the afternoon.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Big Number of Coronavirus Infections in North Macedonia and Serbia
- » Worldwide Record - Last Month Was the Hottest May
- » Protests Against Children's Sexual Harassement in Albania
- » 1,690 Decares of Forests in Bulgaria Are Placed Under Protection
- » Erdogan Wants to Convert the Hagia Sophia Church into a Mosque
- » A Man Wanted by Interpol is Detained in Sofia