Bulgaria's Prosecution to Demand Custody for Mayor of Galiche
Bulgarian prosecuting authorities will demand that the mayor of the village of Galiche, Tsenko Chokov, should remain in custody after being arrested in a police operation on Thursday.
Chokov has already been indicted on charges of heading an organized criminal gang, the Chief Prosecutor's spokesperson, Rumyana Arnaudova, has told private NOVA TV broadcaster.
However, the indictment has not yet been filed with a court.
As many as 11 others were detained in the same operation, his son, Martin Chokov, being among them.
Apart from the mayor, prosecutors will demand custody for five more of those detained, Arnaudova has explained.
Separately, Chokov is facing charges of usury, extortion, and inflicting actual bodily harm.
His lawyer has told bTV station the charges are based on old proceedings that have already been suspended.
- » Convicted of Rape and Thefts Escaped from the Prison in Lovech
- » French Customs Officers Detained Cannabis for EUR 4 Million from a Bulgarian Truck
- » Shooting in Malmö, Five Injured
- » Two People Threatened a MP from the Bulgarian Socialist Party with a Gun
- » A Hungarian Court Sentenced Three Bulgarians for Human Trafficking
- » 8 Bulgarians Raped a 13-year-old Girl in Germany