Bulgarian Police Detain 75 Migrants, Human Smugglers in Countrywide Sweep
Bulgarian police detained 75 people in raids targeting irregular migrants and human traffickers across Bulgaria, the Ministry of the Interior announced on Friday.
Sixty-two foreign citizens illegally residing in Bulgaria as well as 34 people involved in human trafficking have been found by late Friday afternoon in the large-scale operation that started in the morning.
Fifteen irregular migrants – nine men, two women and two boys travelling in two vehicles - were detained after a police chase on a road linking the Sofia neighbourhood of Filipovtsi with the town of Tran, on the border with Serbia, the ministry said in a statement.
All of the detained migrants claimed they were of Afghan origin.
The driver of one of the vehicles, a van, was detained in 24-hour police custody. The driver of the other vehicle, a car, escaped and police launched a search for him.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Europol Discovered an International Criminal Group for Financial Fraud Operating in Bulgaria
- » 1 Tonne of Cocaine destined for Bulgaria was seized in Colombia
- » Bulgarian Prosecution accuses GDFOC of Unprecedented Pressure on the “Hemus” Investigation
- » Double Homicide in Varna
- » A 17-year-old Bulgarian was Killed in a Shootout in Copenhagen
- » "Information Service" for Green Certificates: We Repelled the biggest Cyber Attack in Bulgaria