Golden Kuker Animated Film Festival Kicks off in Sofia
An international animated film festival began on Monday in Bulgaria's capital Sofia.
Golden Kuker, taking place in the National Academy for Film and Theater Art and Culture Institute Iskar (23 Krastyo Pastuhov Str, Sofia), started with a carnival parade on Rakovski Str in central Sofia on Monday evening.
Animated films from around the globe will be screened, with dozens of films shortlisted out of 935 titles received for the official competition.
As many as 34 films within the selection have been submitted by Bulgarian authors, organizers say.
Golden Kuker's seventh edition will also include exhibitions by Bulgarian artists and film workshops organized "on the sidelines".
The 2016 edition is taking place under the slogan "Sofia - Creative Cinema City of UNESCO" and is themed "Man of the Future."
A bilingual (Bulgarian-English) catalog of the event can be downloaded as a PDF here.
The festival is named after the "kukeri", or mummers - practitioners of a beloved Bulgarian folklore tradition with roots from Ancient Thrace who walk around towns and cities in special costumes with animal masks between Christmas and Lent to scare away the evil spirits and to provide a good harvest, health, fertility, and happiness.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » June 25, Bulgaria: Sofia Film Fest Begins
- » Sofia Opera with Performances at Pacharevo Lake
- » Open-Air Art Installation from Bulgarian Letters in Berlin
- » Bloomsday 2020 Becomes Virtual and Sofia Becomes Dublin in One Day
- » You Can Now See "Baby Dragons" in Slovenija
- » Vitosha Nature Park: The Bear Museum and The Museum of Owls Open for Visitors