U.S. Welcome Bulgaria’s Efforts towards Energy Diversification
U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken has praised Bulgaria’s achievements in the fight against crime and smuggling as well as the country’s efforts aimed at energy diversification.
“We welcome the prime minister’s efforts to achieve diversification and energy independence. Energy independence means national security," Blinken has said after a meeting with Prime Minister Boyko Borisov in Sofia on Friday, according to a statement [BG] from the government’s press office.
Blinken is paying a two-day working visit to Bulgaria on Friday and Saturday.
At the meeting, Borisov and Blinken have discussed the strategic partnership between Bulgaria and the United States in key areas such as defense,security, counter-terrorism, energy and the rule of law.
Borisov said that the measures which the government had taken to improve tax collection and crack down on smuggling of goods have made it possible to launch projects aimed at boosting the capabilities of Bulgaria’s armed forces, according to the statement.
Spending on defence is a key priority in the Bulgarian government’s medium-term budget forecast unveiled last year.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria – North Macedonia: No Progress in the Work of the Joint Historical Commission
- » US Ambassador to Bulgaria: We give you Gas at Excellent Prices, Direct Flights will be Restored
- » Russian Ambassador to Bulgarian PM: The Word “Corruption” addressed to Putin is an Insult
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: Our Position on North Macedonia will Not Change
- » Russia has Expelled another Bulgarian Diplomat
- » Russian Ambassador in Bulgaria: Neo-Nazism is Rising in a Number of European Countries