Bulgaria's Dimitrov Loses to Schwartzman at ATP Istanbul Final
The highest-ranking Bulgarian tennis player Grigor Dimitrov has been defeated 7:6, 6:7, 6:0 by Argentina's Diego Schwartzman at the ATP Istanbul final.
Schwartzman, who is currently No 87 in the ATP rankings (Dimitrov is No 29), was playing at a final of a major ATP tournament for the first time.
In the first thirty minutes of the match that started at 17:00 Bulgarian time (EEST), Dimitrov reached a breakthrough at 2:1 in the first set and won another game, but Schwartzman caught up to 3:3.
Another breakthrough and a hard-contested tie-break secured the first set for Dimitrov, who also managed to lead in the first two games of the second one.
However, after being close to winning the second set at 5:2, a dramatic twist resulted in another tie-break, with Schwartzman scoring.
The third set ended 6:0 for Schwartzman, with Dimitrov breaking his tennis rackets out of anger.
The winner of the current tournament will take away USD 75 000 and 250 points in the ATP ranking.
- » Kubrat Pulev Is at the Top of Professional Boxing!
- » EU Volleyball Tournament: Bulgaria Triumphs over Portugal
- » Bulgarian FA Incensed by Southgate's Racism Claims
- » England 4-0 Bulgaria, Third Consecutive Defeat for Manager Balakov
- » Grigor Dimitrov Faces Daniil Medvedev in the Semifinals of the US Open
- » EPIC WIN! Grigor Dimitrov Stuns Roger Federer