Bulgaria's Dimitrov Secures Tough Victory over World's No. 194
Bulgaria's highest-ranking tennis player Grigor Dimitrov made it on Wednesday to the quarterfinals at the TEB BNP Paribas Istanbul Open tournament in Turkey, defeating qualifier Adrian Ungur (Romania).
The match lasted two hours and 14 minutes, with second-seeded Dimitrov winning a hard battle against Ungur that ended 7:5, 4:6, 7:5.
Local sports websites note that a number of mistakes on behalf of Dimitrov, currently 29th in the ATP rankings, had put a clear victory into question.
His next opponent will be Jiri Vesely (Czech Republic), who is ranked No. 63, who defeated the world number one Novak Djokovic in Monte Carlo earlier in April.
Last year, Dimitrov made it to Istanbul Open's semifinals.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Team Bulgaria will take 13 Athletes to the MMA World Championship in Serbia
- » NBA Championship Favorites 2022-23: Boston Firmly on Top, Brooklyn Remain Contenders
- » 2024 Olympics in Danger of Failure: 40 Countries may Boycott them over Russia and Belarus
- » Australia warns Djokovic's Family over Russian Flag and Symbols
- » The Young Players who can Transform Bulgarian Football
- » Poland called the upcoming Matches between Bulgarian and Russian Football Clubs a "Disgrace