Bulgaria's Sofia Hosts CoE Justice Ministers Conference
A high-level conference of Justice Ministers of Council of Europe (CoE) member states is due in the Bulgarian capital Sofia on Thursday and Friday.
It has been organized by the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Bulgaria in cooperation with the Council of Europe and is taking place at the invitation of Justice Minister Ekaterina Zaharieva, the CoE says.
Bringing together ministers and magistrates, will also explore the role of the judiciary in a democratic system and its relations with the executive, independence of judges and measures to ensure their impartiality and boost trust in the system.
"The aim of the Conference is to provide an opportunity to stimulate the dialogue between the Council of Europe and its member states on problems of independence and impartiality of the judiciary, and to highlight and provide incentives for ongoing reforms. This event will create a forum for the discussion and planning of targeted initiatives of the Council of Europe and its member states to strengthen the rule of law and develop a common response to emerging challenges. The overall objective remains to implement fundamental European standards in this field."
The event is titled "Strengthening Judicial Independence and Impartiality as a Pre-condition for the Rule of Law in Council of Europe Member States".
Bulgaria currently holds the rotational presidency of the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers and will do so until mid-May.
CoE Secretary General Thorbjorn Jagland is inaugurating the conference alongside Prime Minister Boyko Borisov, Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov, and Justice Minister Ekaterina Zaharieva.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Movement for Rights and Freedoms Will Not Take Part in New Government, Will Support Cabinet Proposed by New Parties
- » ‘Sofa-gate’ Brings More Headaches for EU
- » VMRO Claim Multiple Irregularities, Seeks Annulment of Vote Results in Turkey
- » Housing Prices in Bulgaria Soared by 30 Percent over Decade – Eurostat
- » MEP Elena Yoncheva Under Fire for Alleged Money Laundering
- » Bulgaria: CEC Removes Boyko Borissov, Six Others from Elected MPs List