Bulgaria's Sofia Hosts CoE Justice Ministers Conference
A high-level conference of Justice Ministers of Council of Europe (CoE) member states is due in the Bulgarian capital Sofia on Thursday and Friday.
It has been organized by the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Bulgaria in cooperation with the Council of Europe and is taking place at the invitation of Justice Minister Ekaterina Zaharieva, the CoE says.
Bringing together ministers and magistrates, will also explore the role of the judiciary in a democratic system and its relations with the executive, independence of judges and measures to ensure their impartiality and boost trust in the system.
"The aim of the Conference is to provide an opportunity to stimulate the dialogue between the Council of Europe and its member states on problems of independence and impartiality of the judiciary, and to highlight and provide incentives for ongoing reforms. This event will create a forum for the discussion and planning of targeted initiatives of the Council of Europe and its member states to strengthen the rule of law and develop a common response to emerging challenges. The overall objective remains to implement fundamental European standards in this field."
The event is titled "Strengthening Judicial Independence and Impartiality as a Pre-condition for the Rule of Law in Council of Europe Member States".
Bulgaria currently holds the rotational presidency of the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers and will do so until mid-May.
CoE Secretary General Thorbjorn Jagland is inaugurating the conference alongside Prime Minister Boyko Borisov, Foreign Minister Daniel Mitov, and Justice Minister Ekaterina Zaharieva.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Part of the Protesters agreed with the Government - The Coal Plants will Not Close
- » The Bulgarian Orthodox Church has no authority to reopen the Russian Church
- » The Ban on Russian Cars entering Bulgaria also applies to Transit
- » Bulgaria: The Blockades of "Struma" and "Trakia" remain for the 5th Day - Protesters to meet with Denkov
- » Bulgaria: “We Continue the Change-Democratic Bulgaria” submitted Proposals for Reforms in the Security Services
- » Bulgaria: Clashes on “Struma” Highway - Protesters broke through the Police Cordon