Sofia's Restored Ancient Roman Complex to be Unveiled on Wednesday
The restored ancient Roman complex Serdica will be unveiled in the centre of the Bulgarian capital on Wednesday.
The restoration of the antique complex was funded with more than BGN 15 M allocated from the EU's Regional Development Operational Programme.
The funding for the project was secured by the culture ministry in 2011 during the first term in office of Culture Minister Vezhdi Rashidov.
Among the main attractions is the decumanus maximum, the main east-west road of the ancient city. The authentic pavement of the road has been preserved almost intact and visitors will be able to walk on it.
The area on Nezavisimost (Independence) square exhibits excavated archaeological structures, with special attention paid to the preserved flooring.
The area under Marie Louise boulevards is of museum nature and exhibits the completely studied, conserved and preserved archaeological remains.
The open-air archeological area between Marie Louise boulevard and the Central Universal Department Store is divided in three levels exhibiting three quarters of ancient Serdica.
A stage for theatre plays, concerts and other events with ample number of seats for spectators is located under the glass dome covering the area between the buildings of the presidency and the Council of Ministers.
This space is to be used exclusively for cultural events, with the remains of Serdica to serve as background.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Actress Maria Bakalova will be in Guardians of the Galaxy 3
- » US with a Report on Religious Freedom in Bulgaria: Mosques are not Built or Repaired
- » National Celebration at Okolchitsa Peak in Memory of Bulgarian Hero Hristo Botev
- » Interesting Facts from the Life of Bulgarian Revolutionary and Poet Hristo Botev
- » Sirens Today - We Celebrate Botev’s Day and Those who Died for the Freedom of Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Author is Nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature