Bulgaria’s Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha Calls to Back Irina Bokova in Race for UN Chief
Bulgaria’s last King and former Prime Minister Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha has called for support for the candidacy of Irina Bokova for United Nations Secretary General.
It’s very important to support Bokova, not just because she is Bulgarian, Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha told reporters in Sofia on Saturday evening.
Asked whether both the United States and Russia could throw their weight behind Bokova, who will complete her second term as UNESCO Secretary-General in 2017, Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha replied that he wouldn’t be surprised.
“She already has two successful terms of office behind her and it’s a matter of judgement on part of the Great Powers,” he added, according to 24 Chasa daily.
Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha spoke as he arrived to attend a meeting of members of NDSV – the political party he founded 15 years ago. The party swept to power in general elections held the same year.
Asked whether he would to run for Bulgarian President in elections later this year he replied: “I’ve been saying this so many times, I don’t like to repeat myself, it becomes tedious in the end.
These are things which “are outside the purpose of the meeting and my intentions”, Simeon Saxe-Coburg-Gotha said, referring to calls from some NDSV members for him to run for president.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Defense Minister: There are 206 American Servicemen in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria is Strengthening the Defense of its Borders
- » Bulgarian PM on North Macedonia: We are Preparing a Joint Celebration of Gotse Delchev
- » Bulgarian Foreign Minister: No Need to Evacuate our Embassy in Ukraine
- » Bulgarian PM: The role of the Prosecutor General will Change, there will be No One Above the Law
- » Ivan Geshev wants Special EU Monitoring on Bulgaria