Tickets for Public Transport in Sofia to Cost BGN 1.6 from June 1
Tickets for public transport in the Bulgarian capital will cost BGN 1.6 starting from June 1.
At its regular meeting on Thursday, the Sofia municipal council approved the increase in the price of a single ticket from BGN 1 to BGN 1.6.
Out of the 61-member council, 34 councilors voted in favour, eighteen were against, while six abstained.
Last week, the transport committee of the municipal council approved the 60 % increase, which had been proposed by Sofia Urban Mobility Centre.
All representatives from the largest ruling party GERB, except for one who was absent, as well as five councilors from two of the parties constituting the junior coalition partner, the Reformist Bloc (RB), voted in favour of the increase.
Citizens discontent with the increase in the price, which comes at a time when fuel is getting cheaper, held a protest in front of the building of the municipality before the meeting on Thursday.
Councillors also approved the increase in the price of ten-ticket cards from BGN 8 to BGN 12.
The fine for passengers traveling without ticket is also to increase from BGN 20 to BGN 40.
The aim of the increase is to encourage the use of long-term subscription cards and to decrease the number of passengers traveling without tickets, who amount to 10 % of passengers.
According to estimates, the increase will affect only 15 % of passengers as the rest are traveling with subscription cards.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria may lose 1.4 Billion Leva if the Territorial Plans for the Coal Plants are not ready
- » American Companies - in fourth place among Investors in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: Fuel to Increase in Price to 3 leva while Lukoil makes 1 Billion 800 Million Excess Profit
- » January 1, 2025 - Bulgaria’s New Target Date for Entry into the Eurozone
- » Brain Business Jobs in Bulgaria Grow Strongly
- » Bulgaria is 43rd in the World in terms of Economic Freedom