Bulgaria to Deploy 300 Additional Troops to Border
Bulgaria will deploy 300 additional servicemen to assist in guarding the country's borders in the event of a heightened migrant pressure.
This was announced by Prime Minister Boyko Borisov on Monday who attended the opening of a tactical training at the Novo Selo training area.
The deployment of the army to the border became possible after the parliament allowed troops to guard the border on an equal footing with border police at the end of February.
Borisov noted that the additional deployment will be stationed in such a way as to ensure more effective control of the border.
The prime minister said that every night between 90 and 100 people are detained solely on the border with Serbia.
He reminded that the government has provided around BGN 100 M for the fence at the border with Turkey.
Borisov assured that everything possible is being done to deter migrants from crossing the border.
In his words, migrants are welcome to enter the country only through the official checkpoints, with all other options being closed.
He added that Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova and Defence Minister Nikolay Nenchev are in constant contact with their counterparts from neighbouring countries and in close cooperation with their colleagues in controlling the refugee flow.
Nenchev noted that the decision on the additional deployment was taken on Monday and the troops will be deployed on Wednesday. The exact location of their deployment was not specified.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » More Details about Espionage Scandal: Group of Top Bulgarian Military Involved in Spying for Russia Detained
- » UK to Boost Nuclear Trident Warheads Arsenal by 40 Percent in Response to China, Russia Threat
- » Bulgaria to Host Several Multinational Military Drills, NATO Members Hone Interoperability
- » Bulgaria: Defense Committee Approves Creation of Cyber Warfare Command
- » Bulgarian Military Contingent to Take Part in Resolute Support NATO Mission in Afghanistan
- » Bulgaria’s Defense Minister: Eight Su-25 Aircraft in Fighting Trim at Bezmer Base