Canada Not to Backtrack as EU Calls for Visa Waiver for Bulgaria, Romania
Canada has told the EU it will not scrap visas for Bulgarian and Romanian citizens despite the EU Commission's suggestions it might reintroduce visa requirement for both Canada and the United States.
"Rather, Canada must be satisfied that countries meet its criteria for a visa exemption," local media outlets quote a government spokersperson as saying.
Bulgaria and Romania are the only two EU member states still subjected to a visa regime by the North American country. The US, for its part, has the same arrangements with regard to the two countries but also to Poland, Croatia, and Cyprus.
The Commission is to discuss a possible renewal of the visa regime on Tuesday, saying its actions are aimed at a "full and reciprocal visa waiver with our strategic partners," in the words of Commission spokersperson Mina Andreeva.
Even if the EU's executive arm decides to reintroduce visas for the States and Canada, the issue will have to be put to a vote in the European Parliament.
Visa-free travels between EU member states (with the exception of the ones mentioned) and Canada or the US are possible for a period of ninety days.
Washington for its part says the five EU countries in its list have not met the requirements for its Visa Waiver program.
Since April 2015, an eased visa regime has been in force for Bulgarians willing to travel to Canada, with those who have been issued a visa to the country in the past ten years (or who have a non-immigrant visa valid for the US) not needing to apply.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Borrell: The EU needs to Strengthen its Military Security
- » Germany’s Chancellor Rejects Ukraine's Swift Entry into the EU - Deems it Unfair to the Balkans
- » European Commission Proposed an Armaments Plan to Ensure the Security of the EU
- » Von der Leyen: EU plans €300 billion Investment to get rid of Russian Fossil Fuels
- » The Red Cross has accused Europe of "Double Standards" with Ukrainian Refugees
- » Hungary is Not Giving In to the Oil Embargo Against Russia, Asks EU for up to €18 Billion