Majority Owner of Collapsed KTB Suing Bulgaria in Strasbourg
The majority owner of Bulgaria’s insolvent Corporate Commercial Bank, Tsvetan Vasilev, has said that he is suing his country at the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.
“Irrespective of the outcome of those lawsuits in Strasbourg, if the court rules against Bulgaria, I won’t inflict material damage to Bulgaria,” public TV broadcaster BNT quoted Vasilev as saying on Wednesday in Belgrade, Serbia.
Vasilev added that if the court in Strasbourg ruled in his favour, he would set up a fund to compensate all those who had suffered from what he described as a coordinated attack on Corporate Commercial Bank (Corpbank, or KTB) and him personally.
The separate lawsuits had been filed respectively by Vasilev and his company Bromak - the main shareholder in KTB, according to Bulgarian news daily Dnevnik.
The Belgrade High Court on Wednesday heard Vasilev in relation to an extradition request from Bulgaria. The Bulgarian prosecutors want Vasilev to be extradited from Serbia to face charges of embezzling BGN 206 M from his own bank.
Vasilev has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, saying that the 2014 collapse of KTB, Bulgaria’s fourth-largest lender, had been a premeditated attack launched by a Bulgarian business partner-turned-rival and supported by state institutions.
BNT also said that Vasilev didn’t deny on Wednesday Serbian media reports which claimed that he had applied for asylum in Bulgaria’s western neighbour, fearing political persecution in Bulgaria if Serbia granted the extradition request.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Spouses Found Dead in Blagoevgrad, Son is a Suspect of the Murder
- » At Least 116 people have Died in a Prison Riot in Ecuador
- » Demonstrative Murder in Sofia: A Man was Shot Dead at Gerena Stadium
- » Record Homicide Growth in the United States Last Year
- » Ministry of Interior Will Investigate 14 Organ Transplant Surgeries in Lozenets Hospital
- » Belgian Army Deserter Nicknamed “Belgian Rambo” Found Dead after Month Search