Bulgaria's Tobacco Unions Call on EconMin to Step Down
The trade unions of employees in Bulgaria's tobacco industry have demanded the resignation of Economy Minister Bozhidar Lukarski over what they describe as his "passive" behaviour to the developments at major tobacco holding Bulgartabac.
In an open letter, unions allege his inaction led to the closure of a tobacco plant in Sofia as of April 01 this year which has left 420 people jobless.
The closure stems from a decision of Bulgartabac to halt exports of cigarettes and other products to the Middle East as of the same date.
The latter move is putting into jeopardy the livelihoods of tens of thousands of tobacco growers in Bulgaria as the Middle East constituted a key market for the company.
Bulgartabac, however, says it has become the target of allegations that is has been smuggling cigarettes into Turkey.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Unfair Import of Millions of Eggs from Ukraine: Bulgarian Producers
- » Bulgaria will receive EUR 16 Million in Compensation due to large Imports of Grain from Ukraine
- » Despite the High Prices of Eggs in Bulgaria - They are Still the Cheapest in the EU
- » TME catalogue now includes Murata and Murata Power Solutions Products
- » Bulgarian Grain producers Sell below Cost: We are no longer talking about Profit, but about Smaller Losses
- » Business Adaptation - Casinos